The humble cauliflower never stops to amaze us! In this keto tuna cauliflower rice stir fry, this delicious ingredient is paired with vegetables, canned fish and spices to create a tasty quick lunch.
To make this simple keto tuna cauliflower rice stir fry, you need:
- cauliflower rice (fresh or frozen)
- canned tuna (in olive oil or water)
- marinated red onions
- fresh mint leaves
- fresh red or green chilli
- sesame oil and soy sauce
- freshly squeezed lime juice
- dried chilli flakes, ground ginger, black pepper and salt
This keto tuna cauliflower rice stir fry takes just a few minutes to make (once the marinated onions are ready), so there isn’t much that you can make in advance. Once you have all you need on hand, you just have to:
- cook the cauliflower rice in a pan with a bit of oil and mix it with the other ingredients
- taste and adjust the amount of spices if necessary
- add the marinated red onions, lime juice and fresh mint leaves just before serving
The marinated red onions are really easy to make and you could also prepare them in advance: simply mix the finely sliced red onions with the vinegar and the lemon juice. For this recipe, use 25 g of red onion, 8 ml of rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar and the juice of 1 lemon (they need to rest in the fridge for at least 20 minutes, ideally 45). If the flavour is too strong for you, allow the onions to rest in the liquid a bit longer and/or make a second marinade just with water. To balance the acidity, you could also add a pinch of sugar to the marinade.
If you don’t like marinated red onions or want to skip this step, you can substitute them with one of these store-bought ingredients:
- sauerkraut (try those made with red cabbage for a more flavourful result)
- capers (the final dish will be quite different but still delicious and rich in flavour)
Nowadays cauliflower rice is available in the frozen foods section of most shops and it’s the perfect solution when you are in a hurry. Frozen cauliflower rice is also a great item to keep on hand among your other kitchen staples. It’s extremely versatile and, since it’s frozen, it will last you for a while. To make this keto tuna stir fry, you could also start with fresh cauliflower and easily make some homemade rice.
Cauliflower is a great vegetable not just for its high content of fibre, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants but also for its versatility. Try to use it for fried rice, curries or side dishes like mashed cauliflower. Include this vegetable into your weekly shopping list and you’ll be sure to have a delicious base for an endless number of recipes.
- 320 g frozen cauliflower rice
- 125 g canned tuna (in water or olive oil)
- 25 g marinated red onions (made following the recipe written in the introduction above)
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp fresh mint leaves
- 1 small fresh red or green chilli
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 3/4 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- a pinch of salt
- optional: juice of 1 lime
- Cook the frozen cauliflower rice in a pan with 1 tablespoon of sesame oil and all the spices (follow the instructions on the package).
- Prepare the finely sliced chilli and break into small pieces the canned tuna.
- Once the cauliflower rice is ready, mix it with all the other ingredients, 1 tablespoon of sesame oil and 2 teaspoons of soy sauce (add both mint leaves, lime juice and marinated onions just before serving).
- Taste and adjust the amount of spices, salt and oil if necessary.
For this recipe, you can use either frozen or fresh cauliflower rice. Cooking times and amount of spices may vary based on which kind of cauliflower rice you are going to use.
Nutrition InformationYield 2
Amount Per Serving Calories 219Total Fat 14.7gCarbohydrates 8.8gNet Carbohydrates 5gFiber 3.8gProtein 15.9g