These keto smoked salmon bites are the perfect appetizer for a festive table. They are easy to make, colourful and incredibly delicious.
What do you usually look for in an appetizer? It should obviously be tasty and rich in flavour… even better if it’s nicely presented and colourful, right? This recipe ticks all the boxes and it also takes just a few minutes to make! These keto bites are a simple appetizer that will brighten up any festive table, party or last-minute dinner.
Smoked salmon is the star of these keto bites. For this recipe you can use either cold or hot smoked salmon; the first one would be the best option but they both work well. The smokey touch really helps the overall flavour profile of this recipe.
Salmon is rich in nutrients and so versatile. It’s an amazing source of omega-3 fatty acids, protein and vitamins of the B group.
To make these keto smoked salmon bites, you’ll need:
- smoked salmon
- cream cheese
- black pepper
In this easy keto recipe, there’s no cooking involved:
- get all the ingredients you need
- prepare some thick slices of cucumber
- assemble each piece using cucumber, cream cheese and salmon (following this order)
- add some rocket, capers and black pepper on top
Common questions about these keto smoked salmon bites:
- Can I make them in advance? You can prepare in advance the ingredients but it’s better to assemble the appetizers just before serving them.
- Can I use a different kind of cheese? Yes, you can use goat cheese or ricotta. You could also use a lactose-free option.
- What toppings can I use? Apart from the mix of capers, rocket and black pepper suggested in the recipe, you could also try dill, chives, finely sliced olives, dried oregano or marjoram.
- Can I use roasted salmon? Technically yes, you could cook the salmon using a nice flavourful marinade and roast it to perfection, then allow the fish to cool down and use small pieces of it on top of the cream cheese. What you’ll miss is the smokey flavour but, in case you don’t like it, this could be a good alternative.
- Can I swap the slices of cucumber for something else? Cucumber is the best low-carb option for these keto bites. It offers you both a good support for the other ingredients and a touch of freshness. You can try to use some leaves of chicory and make a sort of little boat.
- How to serve these keto smoked salmon bites? You can serve them as part of a snack board with fresh veggies, olives, cheese, nuts and a tasty dip (like one made with roasted red peppers or mackerel). They would also be delicious with some keto bread.
- 80 g smoked salmon
- 300 g cucumber (1 medium-sized cucumber)
- 75 g cream cheese
- 1 tsp capers
- a few leaves of rocket
- a pinch of black pepper
- Cut the cucumber into thick slices.
- Assemble each snack using cucumber, cream cheese and salmon (following this order).
- Add some rocket, capers and black pepper on top.
Nutrition InformationYield 3
Amount Per Serving Calories 151.7Total Fat 11.6gCarbohydrates 4.7gNet Carbohydrates 4.2gFiber 0.5gProtein 8.3g