Fancy enjoying some relaxing time with a steamy beverage on a cold winter day? Try this easy keto hot chocolate: it’s the ultimate cosy treat for all chocolate lovers.
Each season has its own cocoa-based beverage or dessert. For example, a mocha smoothie or a chocolate mousse would be perfect on a sunny day in July, while hot chocolate becomes the most popular choice as soon as the weather gets colder in October.
To make this keto hot chocolate you’ll need:
- a few pieces of a 100% cocoa chocolate bar
- a little bit of butter
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- unsweetened almond drink (or another plant-based drink like one made with hazelnuts or cashews)
- a sweetener of choice (erythritol works well if you want to use a keto-friendly option)
- whipped cream (better if it’s freshly made!) and cinnamon to use on top
As you can notice from the list of ingredients written above, this keto hot chocolate is pretty easy to make. You’ll just have to:
- melt the chocolate with a small piece of butter (in a microwave or using a bain-marie)
- mix both the cocoa powder and the sweetener with the melted chocolate
- warm-up the almond milk and mix it with the other ingredients using a hand whisk
- put the chocolate into the cups and top it with a bit of whipped cream and a dash of cinnamon
For this recipe, you could use either a chocolate bar that is 100% cocoa or a sugar-free option (chocolate bar or chips). Nowadays both products are widely available in shops. If you use a sugar-free chocolate bar, you won’t usually need to add some extra sweetener to the hot chocolate. Always taste your hot chocolate before serving and adjust the amount of sweetener and spices.
At the bottom of the recipe, you’ll find a classic (and tasty) serving suggestion that includes whipped cream and cinnamon. But this doesn’t mean you can’t try something more creative, too.
3 ideas to make this keto hot chocolate even tastier
- Add a mix of gingerbread spices: this is definitely the best option for everyone who loves spices! The gingerbread mix can be made with different combinations but it usually contains ginger, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, black pepper and cloves. You can easily make your own mix or buy it. Combine the spices with the hot chocolate and serve with whipped cream.
- Add a hint of coffee: for this option, it’s better to choose espresso or coffee made with a moka pot. Add just a tiny bit of freshly made coffee (no more than 1 teaspoon) into each cup right before serving and mix well. Serve with or without whipped cream.
- Add a pinch of allspice and sea salt on top of your cup of keto hot chocolate (with or without whipped cream). Mix well before drinking and enjoy a delicious hot chocolate with a different twist.
Easy keto hot chocolate
- 200 ml unsweetened almond drink
- 35 g 100% cocoa chocolate bar
- 5 g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 10 g erythritol
- 5 g unsalted butter
- Melt the chocolate with the butter (in a microwave or using a bain-marie).
- Mix both the cocoa powder and the sweetener with the melted chocolate. Break any cocoa lumps.
- Warm-up the almond milk and mix it with the other ingredients using a hand whisk. Adjust the amount of sweetener if necessary.
- Put the chocolate into the cups and top it with a bit of whipped cream and a dash of cinnamon.
- Serving suggestion: whipped cream and cinnamon to use on top. Ensure the whipped cream is unsweetened or contains a keto-friendly sweetener like erythritol.
- Toppings are not included in the nutritional information written below.