Traybake dinners are all over the place now and it’s easy to understand why. They require almost no clean up, all the ingredients are mixed together for the most flavourful result and you only need to turn on the oven to cook them. This keto Mexican chicken traybake is rich in flavour, naturally gluten-free and incredibly easy to make.
Another positive note about traybake dinners is that you can get creative with sauces, snacks, desserts or drinks while you wait for the main course. This is the perfect way to add more nutrients, colours or a little treat to your dinner.
Who doesn’t love a dinner that involves just one baking tray? Almost no dishes to wash and a delicious meal, that’s the dream! This keto recipe is the perfect example of an easy dinner that requires almost no clean up. The chicken and the vegetables are cooked in the same tray in the oven for 40 minutes. While you wait for your chicken to be roasted to perfection, you can prepare a quick mashed avocado or other delicious sauces to pair with your keto traybake dinner.
To make this Keto Mexican chicken traybake, you need:
- good quality boneless chicken thighs (use skin-on chicken thighs for a more flavourful result)
- mixed peppers
- red onions
- olive oil
- freshly squeezed lime juice
- the perfect mix of spices (garlic powder, smoked paprika, chilli powder, cumin, turmeric and black pepper)
- fresh parsley or coriander (cilantro)
Being inspired by Mexican cuisine, this keto dish makes a great pair with avocado. You can use guacamole, sliced avocado or, for a super quick solution, mashed avocado. Here’s a serving suggestion that you can have ready in a matter of minutes:
- mashed avocado with lemon juice, black pepper and salt (pick a ripe avocado and mash it with a fork, then add the other ingredients according to your preferences)
- yogurt sauce made with plain unsweetened Greek yogurt, black pepper and finely chopped parsley (just mix all the ingredients)
Common questions about this keto Mexican chicken traybake
- Can I use a different kind of meat? Yes, you could a different cut of chicken or even turkey. These are the best options.
- Can I use different vegetables? Yes, the combination of peppers, red onions and spices creates a good balance with the chicken but feel free to adjust the recipe according to your needs.
- Can I add some tomato paste to the vegetables? Yes, you can use tomato paste, concentrate or passata. Once ready, taste the sauce and the vegetables, then add more spices if needed. You could also add some fresh cherry tomatoes mixed with the other vegetables.
- Is this recipe gluten-free? Yes, the recipe is naturally gluten-free and, if you serve the traybake without the yogurt sauce, it’s also dairy-free.
- Can I make this keto traybake in advance? Yes, it will still be delicious the next day.
Keto Mexican chicken traybake
Traybake dinners are all over the place now and it's easy to understand why. This keto Mexican chicken traybake is delicious, naturally gluten-free and incredibly easy to make.
- 4 chicken thighs (use skin-on chicken thighs for a more flavourful result)
- 2 medium bell peppers, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- juice of 2 limes
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp medium chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, crushed in a mortar
- 1 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/4 tsp turmeric (optional)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- To add on top when cooked: 1/2 tbsp olive oil, 2 tsp finely chopped parsley or coriander (cilantro), a pinch of black pepper, 1 lime.
- In a bowl, make the marinade for the chicken using all the spices, garlic and the juice of 2 limes. Add the chicken and mix well. Cover the bowl and place it in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Prepare all the vegetables and place them in the baking tray.
- Add the chicken on top of the vegetables and drizzle 2 tablespoons of olive oil all over the ingredients. When you transfer the chicken from the bowl into the baking tray, you want to keep the spices but not all the liquid of the marinade, otherwise the final result will be too watery. Keep only a few tablespoons of liquid.
- Cook in a pre-heated oven at 190°C for approx. 40-45 minutes. Ensure the chicken is completely cooked through before serving. After 15 minutes, remove the tray from the oven and turn the chicken; repeat this step a few more times. Ensure the skin of the chicken is on top at the end (so it will become crispy).
- Serve warm. Add a pinch of black pepper, 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil, fresh parsley or coriander and a splash of lime juice before serving.
- Optional side dish: mashed avocado made with 1 medium-sized avocado, juice of 1/2 lemon, a pinch of black pepper and salt.
- Optional sauce: yogurt sauce made with 80 g of unsweetened plain Greek yogurt, a pinch of black pepper and 1 tbsp of finely chopped parsley.
- The nutritional breakdown written below doesn't include side dishes or sauces.
Nutrition InformationYield 2
Amount Per Serving Calories 503Total Fat 34gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 24gCarbohydrates 15gNet Carbohydrates 11gFiber 4gSugar 6gProtein 38g