This quick and nutritious cream of mushroom keto soup makes the perfect low carb lunch, ready in just 25 minutes and with only 5.6g net carbs per serving.
Keto soup isn’t the first thing you’d think of making when going low carb, most soups we make tend to be using starchy vegetables like potato, carrot etc. The trick is to find low carb, but flavorful vegetables as a base, then complement them with suitable fats to give the soup richness and texture.
This soup does just that, taking meaty, umami mushrooms for a delicious, warming, autumnal flavor, and using cream to give body to the dish as well as to up the fat quantity to make this a keto soup.
For another great keto soup recipe check out our tasty coconut cauliflower keto soup recipe, a warming, spiced low carb soup perfect for cooler days.
This keto mushroom soup would be perfect for a wintry day, pair it with some keto bread for mopping up the soup, such as our recipe for keto dinner rolls which make a great accompaniment.
This recipe freezes great, as do the dinner rolls, making this an ideal, make ahead meal to freeze for those days when you just don’t have the energy to cook from scratch.
If you’re new to keto and not wanting to be cooking constantly, this is a great recipe to cook in bulk, maybe doubling the quantities. Portion out the soup once cooled into individual portions in freezer bags and defrost and microwave as needed.
Easy Keto Mushroom Soup
A quick, flavorful keto mushroom soup, enriched with heavy cream
- 50g salted butter
- 400g mushrooms (white or brown button mushrooms)
- 1/4 red onion, chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 1 tsp dried thyme or 1/2 tbsp fresh chopped thyme
- 200ml heavy cream
- Gather all the ingredients. It will ease the cooking process.
- In a saucepot, melt butter over medium-high heat.
- Add mushrooms and onion to the saucepot. Cook for 6-7 minutes.
- Once the mushrooms are tender, add garlic powder, thyme, and vegetable stock.
- Simmer the soup for 20 minutes.
- Remove the soup from the stove and puree using an immersion blender.
- Stir in heavy cream.
- Bring the soup to a simmer. Do not boil, just gently reheat.
- Serve warm.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 bowl
Amount Per Serving Calories 296Total Fat 30.2gSaturated Fat 19.1gCholesterol 96mgSodium 457mgCarbohydrates 6.9gNet Carbohydrates 5.6gFiber 1.3gSugar 3.3gProtein 4.5g