Brussels sprouts are not just for Christmas but they are a must-have on any festive table! These keto roasted Brussels sprouts with bacon are delicious and super easy to make.
This side dish is basically like a warm salad perfect for the colder months. When you are not in the mood for a fresh summery salad, this kind of recipes made with roasted vegetables is the perfect alternative.
This recipe couldn’t be any simpler. To make these keto roasted Brussels sprouts with bacon you’ll need:
- Brussels sprouts (the freshest they are, the better)
- bacon (pick your favourite one)
- olive oil
- coconut oil
- lemon juice
- black pepper
- cumin seeds
If you want to make a meatless version of this recipe, all you have to do is finding a substitute for bacon. Nowadays there are a lot of vegetarian and vegan options available to buy in the shops, so you may be able to find a bacon alternative ready to use. You could also use small slices of tempeh or seitan marinated with smoked paprika, olive oil and soy sauce then cooked in a pan until crispy.
Brussels sprouts are famous for being a vegetable that people either love or hate. Truth is, they are packed with nutrients, available for most of the year and delicious when cooked properly. So, if until now you have been on the “I hate Brussels sprouts” team, you may want to rethink your choice.
Brussels sprouts are low in calories and have a good amount of fibre, vitamins and minerals. They have a particularly high content of antioxidants, vitamin K and C. Exactly like cauliflower, they are humble vegetables that will surprise you with its versatility.
Tips for making these keto roasted Brussels sprouts with bacon
- If you want to make this side dish in advance, store all the ingredients in separate containers. For the best result, warm up the Brussels sprouts in a preheated oven at 180°C for a few minutes just before serving. Reheat the other ingredients in a pan or in a small baking tray covered with aluminium foil.
- For this keto recipe, you can cut the Brussels sprouts according to your preferences. The cooking time will vary based on the size of the pieces of Brussels sprouts.
- To give to your Brussels sprouts a brighter green colour, add a splash of lemon juice once they are ready. The lemon juice adds a nice bitter and fresh finish to this side dish, too. Not everyone likes it, so feel free to skip this step if you want.
- Any kind of bacon will work well in this recipe. Pick your favourite one and cook it according to your preferences.
- You can pair this side dish with some bread or some mashed cauliflower or a delicious roast for a classic festive feast.
Keto roasted Brussels sprouts with bacon
- 275 g Brussels sprouts
- 3 bacon strips
- 25 g pecans
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp coconut oil measured solid
- ⅓ tsp cumin seeds
- a pinch of nutmeg
- a pinch of salt
- juice of 1/2 lemon optional
- Cut the Brussels sprouts in half, place them on a large baking tray and add the olive oil, nutmeg, salt, cumin and coconut oil. Mix well. Roast in a preheated oven at 180C for 15-25 minutes. After a couple of minutes, remove the tray from the oven and mix (at this point the coconut oil will be melted). Check the Brussels sprouts after 15 minutes, mix and decide if you want to leave them in the oven for a few more minutes.
- Cook the bacon in a pan until slightly crispy. Cut the strips into small pieces.
- Once both the Brussels sprouts and the bacon are ready, combine all the ingredients together, add a splash of lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of olive oil and mix well.
- Taste and adjust the amount of spices and salt if necessary. Serve warm.