Delicious Keto Empanada Recipe: A Low-Carb Delight
Step into a world where flavor and health go hand in hand with our Keto Empanada Recipe. These empanadas are a testament to the versatility of keto cooking, offering a sumptuous, spiced meat filling encased in a buttery, flaky crust that defies the usual carb-heavy expectations. Perfect for those on a ketogenic diet, these empanadas deliver all the comfort food vibes without the carb overload. Whether you’re looking for a satisfying lunch, a delightful appetizer, or a cozy dinner option, these keto empanadas are a culinary triumph that will keep you on track with your low-carb goals.
The Origins and Benefits of This Keto Empanada Recipe
Empanadas have a storied history that spans continents, with each region imparting its own unique twist to this beloved handheld pie. Traditionally, empanadas are a no-go for those following a ketogenic lifestyle due to their high-carb content. However, this Keto Empanada Recipe has been meticulously crafted to align with the principles of a low-carb, high-fat diet, ensuring that you can indulge guilt-free.
The beauty of this recipe lies in its clever use of almond and coconut flours, which replace traditional wheat flour to dramatically lower the carb count while still providing that satisfying texture and flavor. The inclusion of xanthan gum lends the dough its characteristic elasticity, making it a dream to work with. The spiced meat filling, rich with the flavors of cumin, paprika, and optional chili powder, offers a protein-packed centerpiece that’s both delicious and filling. The addition of shredded cheddar cheese melds beautifully with the beef, adding a creamy, tangy element that elevates the entire dish.
As a keto enthusiast, I understand the importance of maintaining a state of ketosis, and this recipe is designed with that in mind. Each empanada contains a balance of macronutrients that support a ketogenic lifestyle, with a focus on healthy fats and moderate protein, while keeping net carbs to a minimum. The result is a dish that not only satisfies your taste buds but also your dietary needs, making it an excellent addition to your keto recipe repertoire.
Step-by-Step Guide to Making Keto Empanadas
Creating these keto empanadas may seem daunting, but with the right technique and a few chef’s tips, you’ll be crafting these savory treats like a pro. Here’s a detailed walkthrough of the process, with extra insights to ensure your empanadas turn out perfectly.
Step 1: Begin by whisking together your dry ingredients. It’s crucial to get a uniform mixture to avoid lumps in your dough. For the butter, make sure it’s cold; this is key to achieving that flaky texture we’re after. When incorporating the butter, work swiftly to prevent it from warming up, which could make your dough greasy.
Step 2: When adding the egg, mix just until the dough comes together to avoid overworking it. If the dough is sticky, a sprinkle of almond flour can help, but be cautious not to add too much, or your dough will become tough.
Step 3: Chilling the dough is not a step to be skipped. This rest period allows the flours to fully hydrate and the fats to firm up, which is essential for the rolling out process.
Step 4: For the filling, sautéing the onions and garlic until translucent ensures they will be soft and fully flavored by the time the empanadas are baked. When cooking the ground beef, aim for a fine crumble to ensure even distribution within the empanada.
Step 5: Rolling the dough between two sheets of parchment paper prevents sticking and allows for easy transfer of the cut-out circles to your baking sheet.
Step 6: Be mindful not to overfill the empanadas; too much filling can cause them to burst open during baking. A good seal is crucial—press firmly and crimp with a fork to ensure the edges stay together.
Step 7: Baking until golden brown is more than just about color; it’s about ensuring the dough is fully cooked and has achieved the desired flaky texture. Letting them cool slightly before serving will help the filling set and make them easier to handle.
Exciting Variations to the Keto Empanada Recipe
Chicken and Spinach Empanadas
Swap the ground beef for cooked, shredded chicken and add a handful of wilted spinach to the filling for a green boost. The chicken is a leaner protein option, and the spinach provides additional nutrients, making for a delicious and healthy variation.
Spicy Chorizo and Egg Empanadas
For a breakfast twist, use spicy chorizo sausage and scrambled eggs as the filling. The chorizo adds a fiery kick, while the eggs offer a classic breakfast comfort, perfect for a keto-friendly start to your day.
Vegetarian Cauliflower and Cheese Empanadas
For a vegetarian option, replace the meat with finely chopped, sautéed cauliflower. Pair it with your favorite keto-friendly cheese for a meatless alternative that still packs a flavorful punch.
Ingredient Substitutions for Keto Empanadas
Adapting recipes to suit your pantry or dietary preferences is often necessary. Here are some substitutions you can make in this Keto Empanada Recipe:
Almond Flour: If you’re allergic to almonds, sunflower seed flour is an excellent nut-free alternative that behaves similarly in baking.
Coconut Flour: While coconut flour is unique in its absorption properties, in a pinch, you can use additional almond flour, though the texture may be slightly different.
Xanthan Gum: If you don’t have xanthan gum, ground flax seeds or psyllium husk powder can serve as a binder, though the dough may be less stretchy.
Frequently Asked Questions About Keto Empanadas
Can I freeze these keto empanadas? Yes, you can freeze them either before or after baking. Just make sure they are completely cooled and stored in an airtight container.
How do I reheat the empanadas? Reheat in an oven preheated to 350°F (175°C) for about 10 minutes, or until heated through.
Can I use other types of meat for the filling? Absolutely! Feel free to experiment with pork, turkey, or even lamb for different flavor profiles.
Is there a dairy-free option for the dough? You can use a solid coconut oil or a dairy-free butter alternative in place of butter for the dough.
Can I make these empanadas nut-free? While this recipe relies on almond flour, you can try using a combination of seed flours, such as sunflower seed flour, for a nut-free version.
|Keto / Low Carb
|350 per empanada
|9g per empanada
|4g per empanada
|28g per empanada
|15g per empanada
Author: Lorcan O’Connor
Satisfy your cravings with this scrumptious Keto Empanada Recipe that perfectly aligns with your low-carb lifestyle. These empanadas are filled with a savory, spiced meat mixture, all wrapped in a buttery, flaky keto-friendly dough. They’re ideal for a grab-and-go lunch, appetizer, or a comforting dinner that won’t kick you out of ketosis.
**Prep Time:** 30 minutes
**Servings:** 6 empanadas
**Cook Time:** 20 minutes
_For the Dough:_
– 1 1/2 cups almond flour (150g)
– 1/4 cup coconut flour (30g)
– 1 tsp xanthan gum (4g)
– 1/2 tsp salt (2g)
– 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cold and diced (60g)
– 1 large egg
_For the Filling:_
– 1 tbsp olive oil (15ml)
– 1/2 lb ground beef (225g)
– 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped (about 60g)
– 1 clove garlic, minced (about 4g)
– 1/2 tsp cumin (1g)
– 1/2 tsp paprika (1g)
– 1/4 tsp chili powder (optional, adjust to taste) (0.5g)
– Salt and pepper to taste
– 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (50g)
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine almond flour, coconut flour, xanthan gum, and salt. Whisk to mix well.
2. Add the cold, diced butter to the flour mixture. Using a pastry cutter or your fingers, work the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
3. Crack the egg into the mixture and combine until a dough forms. If the dough is too sticky, add a little more almond flour until it’s workable.
4. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes.
5. While the dough is chilling, heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and minced garlic, sautéing until translucent and fragrant.
6. Add the ground beef to the skillet. Cook, breaking it apart with a spatula, until browned and cooked through.
7. Stir in the cumin, paprika, chili powder (if using), and season with salt and pepper. Cook for another 2 minutes, then remove from heat and let cool.
8. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
9. Remove the dough from the refrigerator and place it between two sheets of parchment paper. Roll out to about 1/8 inch thickness.
10. Using a round cutter or a bowl, cut out 6 circles, re-rolling the dough as necessary.
11. Place a spoonful of the beef mixture onto one half of each dough circle, leaving room at the edge to seal the empanada. Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top of the beef.
12. Fold the dough over the filling to create a half-moon shape. Press the edges together firmly, and use a fork to crimp and seal the edges.
13. Place the empanadas on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 18-20 minutes, or until golden brown.
14. Let the empanadas cool for a few minutes before serving.
**Cuisine:** Keto / Low Carb
**Calories:** 350 per empanada
**Carbohydrates:** 9g per empanada
**Net Carbs:** 4g per empanada
**Fat:** 28g per empanada
**Protein:** 15g per empanada
**Author:** Lorcan O’Connor