Keto Charred Scallion and Chili Lime Avocado Salad
Looking for a salad that packs a punch in both flavor and nutrition? This Keto Charred Scallion and Chili Lime Avocado Salad is your answer. It’s a dish that bursts with the creamy richness of avocados, the satisfying char of grilled scallions, and a lively chili lime dressing that will wake up your palate. Perfect for those on a ketogenic diet, this salad is low in carbs but high in healthy fats, making it an ideal choice for a fulfilling lunch or dinner.
Recipe Origin and Keto Benefits
Salads are often a go-to for health-conscious eaters, but this isn’t just any salad. The inspiration for this Keto Charred Scallion and Chili Lime Avocado Salad comes from a desire to create a dish that’s both nutritious and satisfying. The keto diet emphasizes high-fat, low-carb foods to encourage the body to enter a state of ketosis, where it burns fat for fuel. This salad fits the bill perfectly, with avocados providing heart-healthy monounsaturated fats and fiber, while keeping the net carb count low.
Avocados are a keto powerhouse. Not only do they offer a creamy texture that can make any dish feel indulgent, but they also provide essential vitamins and minerals. When combined with the smoky flavor of charred scallions and the tangy zest of the chili lime dressing, this salad becomes a celebration of textures and flavors that are sure to delight.
The charred scallions are a revelation here; they bring a depth of flavor that raw scallions can’t match. Grilling them until they’re just softened and marked by the grill adds a subtle smokiness that complements the rich avocado. The chili lime dressing, with its bright citrus notes and a hint of heat, cuts through the richness and brings balance to the dish.
This salad is more than just a tasty meal; it’s a strategic keto choice. The high fat content is satiating, helping to curb cravings and keep you full longer. And because it’s packed with flavor, it’s a reminder that eating keto doesn’t mean sacrificing enjoyment of food. This is a dish that will keep you committed to your keto lifestyle with ease and pleasure.
When it comes to preparing this salad, the key is in the details. Here’s a step-by-step guide to ensure that each component of your Keto Charred Scallion and Chili Lime Avocado Salad is executed to perfection.
1. Grilling the Scallions: Start by preheating your grill pan. It’s essential to get the pan hot enough so that the scallions char quickly without becoming mushy. Lightly brush the scallions with olive oil; this not only prevents sticking but also helps to achieve that beautiful char. Grill them for 2-3 minutes on each side, watching for those characteristic grill marks that signal a perfect char. Once done, set them aside to cool.
2. Preparing the Dressing: The chili lime dressing is what gives this salad its signature zesty flavor. Whisk together lime juice, zest, chili flakes, salt, and pepper. The zest of the lime is crucial here, as it adds an aromatic citrus note that can’t be replicated with juice alone. If you’re sensitive to spice, start with a smaller amount of chili flakes and adjust to taste.
3. Assembling the Salad: The avocados should be ripe but still firm, to maintain their shape when tossed with the other ingredients. Peel and cut them into bite-sized pieces, then add them to a large mixing bowl along with the scallions and cilantro. When adding the dressing, do so gently to ensure the avocados are well-coated but not crushed. Let the salad sit for a few minutes before serving; this resting time allows the flavors to meld and intensify.
Remember, the key to a great salad is in the freshness of the ingredients and the care taken in preparation. With this method, you’ll create a dish that’s as beautiful to look at as it is delicious to eat.
Grilled Shrimp Keto Salad
For a protein-packed twist, add grilled shrimp to the salad. Season the shrimp with a touch of chili powder and lime zest before grilling to complement the flavors of the dressing. This variation adds a succulent texture and makes the salad a complete meal in itself.
Crunchy Cucumber Keto Salad
Introduce a refreshing crunch by incorporating thinly sliced cucumbers. The coolness of the cucumbers balances the heat from the chili flakes and provides a contrasting texture that’s a delight in every bite.
Cheesy Keto Salad
Sprinkle crumbled feta or goat cheese over the salad for a tangy, creamy addition. Cheese not only adds flavor but also extra fat, making the salad even more keto-friendly.
In the world of cooking, flexibility is key. Here are some substitutions that can help you tailor the Keto Charred Scallion and Chili Lime Avocado Salad to your taste and dietary needs.
1. Olive Oil: If you’re out of olive oil, avocado oil is an excellent substitute. It has a similar monounsaturated fat profile and a high smoke point, making it perfect for grilling.
2. Cilantro: Cilantro can be polarizing. If you’re not a fan, try using parsley or even a small amount of chopped mint for a fresh, herby flavor that doesn’t overpower.
3. Lime Juice: In a pinch, lemon juice can work in place of lime. It will alter the flavor profile slightly but still provide the necessary acidity to balance the richness of the avocados.
Q: Can I make this salad ahead of time?
A: Yes, you can prepare the components ahead of time, but it’s best to assemble the salad just before serving to maintain the freshness and texture of the avocados.
Q: How can I store leftovers?
A: Leftover salad can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a day, though the avocados may brown slightly.
Q: Is this salad spicy?
A: The spice level is moderate, but you can adjust the chili flakes to your preference. Start with a smaller amount and add more as desired.
Q: Can I use bottled lime juice?
A: Fresh lime juice is best for flavor, but bottled can be used in a pinch. Just be aware that bottled juice may contain additives that can affect the taste.
Q: What if I don’t have a grill pan?
A: If you don’t have a grill pan, you can char the scallions in a regular skillet or even roast them in the oven for a similar effect.
Keto Charred Scallion and Chili Lime Avocado Salad
A vibrant and refreshing salad that brings the creaminess of avocado to the forefront, complemented by the mild pungency of charred scallions and the zesty kick of chili lime dressing. This Keto Charred Scallion and Chili Lime Avocado Salad is a perfect low-carb side dish or a light main course that will excite your taste buds while keeping you on track with your keto goals.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Cuisine: Keto, American
Category: Lunch, Dinner
- 4 medium avocados, halved and pitted (approx. 2 lbs / 900g)
- 1 bunch of scallions (approx. 3 oz / 85g)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (15ml)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes (2g)
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (60ml)
- Zest of one lime
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (1g)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper (1g)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro (15g)
- Preheat a grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Brush the scallions with olive oil and place them on the grill. Char them for 2-3 minutes on each side until they have nice grill marks and are slightly softened. Remove from the grill and let them cool before chopping them into small pieces.
- In a small bowl, whisk together lime juice, lime zest, chili flakes, salt, and black pepper to create the chili lime dressing.
- Peel and slice the avocados into bite-sized pieces and place them in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the chopped scallions and cilantro to the avocados.
- Pour the chili lime dressing over the avocado mixture and gently toss to coat evenly, taking care not to mash the avocados.
- Let the salad sit for 5 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Serve the salad immediately or refrigerate it for up to an hour before serving to intensify the flavors.
Nutritional Information (per serving):
- Calories: 320
- Carbohydrates: 17g
- Net Carbs: 4g
- Fiber: 13g
- Fat: 29g
- Protein: 4g
- Grill pan
- Chopping board
- Small bowl
- Large mixing bowl
For the best flavor, use ripe avocados that yield slightly to gentle pressure. The charred scallions can be prepared ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator. If you prefer a spicier salad, increase the amount of chili flakes to taste.